March 21, 2012

Battle of the Painting

Over the weekend, I decided to get the Art work done for over the doggy bed. 
Canvas is my regular medium, but I knew I wanted to have a big piece so, I had leftover wood from a previous project and thought why not give it a go.


My idea was to paint an abstract piece with the colors of the room mixed in.  It didn't have to be like water or an ocean, just some pattern. 
 Usually my paintings are very whimsical and light, but for some reason I wanted to make sure this one had a little more going on.  I guess because the Family Room is really light and airy and I have a tendency to want to do a punch of color no matter what style of room I am decorating. 
So I got to work. 

These are the colors I used...

Dark Brown, Medium Gray, New Leaf Green, Deep Ocean Blue, Black Licorice and White (not shown) I took each color and darkened them with a little black or the gray to tone down the colors, OR so I THOUGHT.

  I took a 1 inch thick board and cut it into 5 pieces of approximately 10 x 35 1/2 in. boards.




 Lacey and I decided to turn it into a little mommy/daughter time and went outside on the driveway to work. It didn't take long for Lacey to spot a few of her friends and the project turned solo.


Let's take a moment to pause and check out my fro.  I debated whether or not to leave this pic out of the mix due to the half shaved look/half flock of seagulls motif I had going, but then I wouldn't be showing you my true self.  Some days I tend to not straighten my hair and this is the beauty the ensues ;-) 

Now back to our regular scheduled program!  Oh yes, the painting.  So after Lacey abandoned kindly departed our paint party, I continued painting.  I just took each color and painted the boards just like I did with the white.  Sorry, I have no pictures of any of the other colors going on the board. It slipped my mind when my neighbors came by to check in.  We were having a lovely discussion about all sorts of things, so of course I kept on chatting painting and the picture takin' went right out the window.  Whoops!


So pretend I have painted the chartreuse color next, ooohhh, ahhhh
and then the gray blue color,  ahhhh
and finally the brownish color,  ooohhhh
                  
       
And now the finished project...

 So where does my title "Battle of the Painting" come in? 
My husband Dustin is a go with the flow kinda guy.  I am the one usually hard on myself when I decorate.  So, to my surprise, I kind of like the painting and he, well, not so much!  How did he put it with a chuckle, something like "I don't know, it seems busy and kind of reminds me of something you would see in an old 80's beach house."   What does that mean

So I am puzzled!  What do you think?  Keep or Paint again?  If I repaint, I may try a softer feel, more wave like.  Dunno, I want to make the hubs happy since he doesn't complain about much.  He is going to the eye doctor tomorrow for new contacts.  Should I wait till he can see better, lol.

Just to give you the color concept, here are a couple views of the Family Room...

A feel of the room.  The white curtains will have some sort of green stripes to match the pillows on the couch.



The wall over to the right next to the ladder is where the painting will be.

I would love some feedback on this!

I will let you know how it plays out in the coming week!

Linked to:

shabby creek cottage


5 comments:

  1. Helen,

    You have been tagged a Wonderful Blogger! Come see what to do next ...

    http://joy2journey.blogspot.com/2012/03/wonderful-blogger-tag.html
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love your sense of style! I have 2 questions. What is the paint color and did you build the bookcases yourself or did you buy them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a sweet comment, you're awesome :) The paint color for the room is Rainwashed by Sherwin Williams. The bookcases are built ins and my brother in law (who is a fantastic builder) worked on them with my realtors building company :)

      Delete